5.26.2005

 

first ride of summer

distance: approx. 11 miles
time: approx. 1hr 10min [including getting in & out of the house]

Today I finally did what I've been planning to do all week: got up and went for a ride pre-breakfast and pre-shower. My goal for the next few weeks is to return to doing regular short rides, starting with an hour, several times a week. I'm still at the first level of my p.t. exercises for my shoulder (I've been told I have about 3 levels before I can swim), so I'll be doing those every day (soon to be twice/day) as well. With a little luck, that will keep my shoulders and neck from getting too banged around.

It felt great to be back on Pearl and out and about. I rode over to the Capitol Crescent Trail in Georgetown, which is almost exactly 2.5 miles from our house, and then went 3 miles down it and turned around. I love that the WABA page describing the trail talks about the "imperceptible grade" that you're going up the whole (10 mile) way to Bethesda. It may be visually imperceptible, but you'd have to be a complete dumbass to not notice that you are d r a g g i n g in the Bethesda direction and flying coming back to Georgetown. Granted I'm not the fastest pedaler in the west[ern hemisphere], but it took me 25 minutes to go 3 miles one way and 15 to come back. That means it's an hour and a half to Bethesda and 45 minutes back. I need to keep this in mind for future rides, that it's basically free miles if you turn around rather than doing a loop. Which is likely why the training rides I used to go on take you through Bethesda to Rock Creek Park rather than turning around and lettting you cruise back in, eh?

I should get an evaluation this afternoon on how my back is doing and, assuming all's clear, I'm going to bring Pearl with us this weekend and ride a couple of times on the trails down there while Dana sleeps in.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?