3.11.2005

 

knit happens!

one of my goals for my 30s, despite being several years behind the trend curve, is to learn to knit. so, I've accomplished that! I suppose now I can modify that to "knit something" and then still have something to strive toward for the remaining 97% of the decade.

I was at caribou with a student and noticed a group of people knitting. seizing my chance, I asked them if the group was a private group of friends or if it was an open gathering, and they invited me to join them. I discovered that it was the logan circle stich-n-bitch group, and that they meet at least once a week in my neighborhood (sometimes at coffeeshops and sometimes at a knitter's house). one of the guys there was nice enough to show me the basics (casting on, knit, purl) and then fill me in on the local shops where I could get yarn and needles (he recommended knit happens in alexandria, and another person recommended stitch dc in georgetown, noting that it's more of a boutique).

while being proud of my accomplishment (it helped that my volunteer teacher was saying "that's right, that's perfect!" almost every stitch, which boosted my confidence), I was also relieved to find out that the technique he taught me is the one in the stitch-n-bitch book I picked up in ann arbor (as mentioned, just in time for the second more advanced one to come out!) so that I can refresh my understanding if/when I try it on my own.

I've talked with a friend (our bridge night hostess) about wanting to knit, and I just might get myself together to get some yarn and needles and bring those and the instructional book to her place tomorrow night. armed with my new-found knowledge and her crocheting experience, how bad can we be?

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?